Long Arm Quilting

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Grocery Bag Tutorial


We made another video tutorial! This one is for making simple grocery bags. I hope you like it! I have a bit of a cold so it slowed me down a little. I have been meaning to make myself some bags for the grocery store for ages now as the old ones I have are slowly tattering away. 

Materials:

1/2 yard of Home Dec or Canvas fabric
2 yards of heavy cotton twill tape for the straps
and 
regular sewing supplies (sewing machine, thread, ruler. rotary cutter, scissors and pins)



So let me know what you think and let me know what you would like to see in the future.

I buy my heavyweight cotton twill tape from Twilltape.com This is an actual link to the roll of twill tape that I use. It is 1.25 inches and comes on a 72 yard roll. I use it for straps, apron ties and sometimes I even use it as binding around the top of quilted bags. It is great stuff folks.

 TWILL TAPE LINK


Cheers!
Tia

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial Tia! I'm ready to start some bags, but first need to source the twill tape. Could you post a link to source? Thanks. (Loved the lone star piecing tutorial also)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Karen! I buy my twill tape from Twilltape.com here is the link to exactly what I used in this bag.

      https://www.twilltape.com/heavyweight-1-25-natural-twill-tape/

      Delete
  2. Great tutorial, Tia. I am Going to have to get some twill tape... I use reusable grocery bags all the time. I prefer them! Great to see you.
    Hugs. Sharon in Arlington.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took the pieces that vwere cut off in the beginning to make pockets that I stitched in with the twill tape straps. Makes a place for my list,pencil,coupons,etc.
    My sister and her family are opening a farm market. I am going to make a few for her to give away at their grand opening. The fabric she found is not home decor weight so I plan to use 2 layers. Tell me if my brain is right on this please. If I sew two pieces right sides together of cool veggie print and lining, then flip tube and press,I won't need french seams because I will be sewing already finished seams together. At least I think that should work. We will find out.
    Thanks gor great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot find the print out for the grocery bag. Is it available.. thank you so much...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking of sewing the straps on the inside so they don't hide the beauty of the fabric. Would it still be as sturdy as on the outside? Looking forward to making these bags. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing such informative post. You’re always giving your readers something new. Therefore, I’ve bookmark it and I’ll definitely recommend my friends to read this information post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I read each one. I will either respond via email or here in the comments. xo - Tia