Long Arm Quilting

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Red Cross Quilt

 Hey there! I finished this quilt yesterday evening. I was really excited to quilt this one. There were so many ways I could have done it, but I wanted to keep it quite simple. In the end I think it was just the right amount of quilting. If time were not a factor (and 3 busy little kids) I would have hand quilted it. I did consider if for about a second each time I looked at it. For such a modern looking quilt, this is actually a very old quilt. A very old quilt with crazy inset Y seams.

 I studied this quilt while I had it on the long arm. Each block is a pieced hexagon segment that has been sewn to the blue squares. I am pretty sure there were at least 2 people who pieced this top. The hand stitching was quite different on the 2 different colored sections. Oh, and those reds are totally different shades, NOT fading. Funny, isn't it?  There are a couple discolored spots, but I really think they add to the charm of this quilt. It is old old old after all. I am curious to wash it. Actually I may not wash it at all since I am afraid of all the reds running, but then again what is the point of having a quilt if I am afraid to use it?


 Here is a shot of the back. It is simple and quite pretty, I think. Almost like a little decorated tea cake.


This is what it looked like when I bought it from eBay. Something about this quilt called to me over the Internet. I have a suspicion that this may have been a quilt intended for the red cross during one of the World Wars.  Maybe names would have been added to the blue blocks? I do wish I knew more of it's story. At any rate I am thrilled with how it turned out and now I need to figure out what to do with it (after I bind it of course).

Have a happy day!
Tia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I read each one. I will either respond via email or here in the comments. xo - Tia