Long Arm Quilting

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A quilt for Yahaira

 Hey there! How are you all doing? I hope your weekend was a good one and you had the chance to thank a veteran for keeping this great nation free and brave. I did.

OK, lets chat about the quilt that I am working on right now. I am almost finished with it actually, I just need to do a bit of fill in quilting and go back and finish the spots I didn't quite know what to quilt. Yahaira sent me a beautiful star quilt top. Each star was pieced with tiny half square triangles and she wanted the quilt to be quilted in a Welsh style. I LOVE Welsh quilting. In my opinion Welsh quilting is classic, but can also be so modern and unexpected. Gwen Marston has been influenced quite a bit by Welsh quilting...you can see it throughout many of her books. I adore Gwen Marston....but I bet you already know that.

OK, so after I got Yahaira's quilt top I sketched out a really crude idea as to what I wanted to do to it. I sent it to her with a another picture of a quilt that I am working on for my own delight (but I have fizzled since I have so very many other things to finish before we move).

 I wanted to give her an example of Welsh Medallions. I think they are great and quite versatile.

 So here it is this morning....I think it is so pretty resting there in the sunlight.



 I have not quilted much in her pieced triangles for 2 reasons. The first one is that I don't want to take anything away from them and all the work piecing them. I stitched in the ditch and I may go back and add another line. The second reason is because of the seam intersections. It is a reality of quilting....the intersections are quite hard to quilt around. It is beautifully pieced, it is just tricky to quilt.

 I did some fiddle head ferns around the half medallions.

 The arced boarder was so fun to quilt.

And here is one of the full medallions. So, I am almost finished, but I have to meet my little guy for a field trip to the planetarium today. After that I should be able to finish it up....and work on some teacher gifts.

I want to talk to you about thimbles soon too! I made some leather ones and I really like them.

xo,
Tia

2 comments:

  1. Good job with the Brit inspired patterns! An idea for the pieced star might be a pattern similar to the triangle space -- the repeating looping lines but on bias to echo the bias seams but spaced to avoid the thickest seams... it'll keep your texture consistant and it's just an idea. Great quilt!
    M.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I read each one. I will either respond via email or here in the comments. xo - Tia